Saturday, March 27, 2010

Gratitude of Change

"We can lift ourselves, and others as well, when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude." -Thomas S. Monson.

This week was full of changes.
I have been teaching 6th grade for 5 years now. I know the inside and outside of the grade. I love 12 year old's and I understand them.
Canyon Crest, where I work, is going through many changes. We are loosing teachers because of the economy and millions of dollars in budget cuts. Therefore we have lost quality teachers this year. The 5th grade team of teachers consists of 2 interns, and 1 veteran teacher...they are all leaving. Which leaves the 5th grade empty. This past Tuesday my principal asked me to change grades.

I will be teaching 5th grade next year. I am going to be teaching a new curriculum, in a new classroom, with an intern from UVU, mentoring and teaching the intern how to teach, and hopefully enriching the lives of 10 and 11 year old's.

At first I was really upset about the thought of having to change grades. But after much thought, prayers, and many conversations with Will this past week I must conclude that I am excited to be moving to 5th grade. I am ready for the challenge, for the change, for the blessing of having a job, for finally stepping out of my comfort zone, and for helping the 5th grade ROCK! Because I have to be honest if I am going to go to a new grade, I am going to make sure that it is awesome!

My only worry now is...moving my classroom, learning a new curriculum, and having some time to relax this summer.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I can't believe you're switching to fifth! You will love it- they're not as obnoxious as those sixth graders you love. :) I miss you, I almost look forward to our next ESL class so I can see you. Love ya!