Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day 6th grade style

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
I am to shy to say...
I like you!

My favorite holiday as a teacher hands down is VALENTINE'S DAY! It is the cutest holiday in the world to be a 6th grade teacher for. There is no better way to celebrate the day than with cute cards, candy, valentines, and secret notes that say "I like you, you are pretty." Celebrating it with a bunch of 12 years old students is the way Valentine's Day should always be celebrated.

I have been teaching at Canyon Crest for 4 years. Each year I have the boys in my class give out red roses and walk all the girls to their desks one by one. It is a huge surprise for the girls, and I don't even let them in the classroom until all the boys are in the room ready to greet the girls with their rose. The past two years I have had Will to help me assist the boys in the classroom while I wait in the hall with the girls. It is so fun to see the reactions on both the boys and girls faces! I just hope that the boys learn from this first "flower giving" experience and realize girls love boys who show chivalry.



For our class party, Will and Jake did "caricatures" of all of my students. It was so fun! And my students love having Will and Jake in the room. Especially when they sing to Elton John and crack jokes out loud! Thank you Will and Jake, again you saved my party.



Another part of our party was playing the game "I know you love me so let me make you smile." I have a couple of hams in my class who really got into it and made everyone laugh!



Valentine's Day was so fun! It is day's like this where I realize why I love to teach 6th graders!

Plus I get letters like this one: (It is typed as it was written)
"Dear Mrs. Strong,
Happy Valentine's Day and thanks for being my teacher your the nicest coolest bestest amazingest and funniest funnest teacher I have ever had. PS: thanks for enduring my annoyingness this whole year."

1 comment:

Will Strong said...

If you hate Valentine's Day (as I do) then you just need to get back to basics (as I did today.)

The Elementary School approach to Valentine's Day is far superior to the over dramatized adult version.

Just get some paper valentines from the grocery store and hand them out to all of your friends. You'll see.

"Valentine, you're out of this world!"